Saturday, October 20, 2012

How to calculate polygon area in Mapinfo using Query

Query in MapInfo is a powerful tool which can help us to finish many things. On this MapInfo tutorial I will show you how to calculate polygon area in MapInfo using Query tool. Here is the illustration. I have 3 polygons on my layer and each polygon has its own name or label. I want to calculate the area for each polygon using query.

calculate area mapinfo 1

 

Now, to calculate the area of those three polygons using built in query. Go to Query>>SQL Select

 

calculate area mapinfo 2

Put the cursor on the from Tables textbox and now click Tables and click your table containing the polygon we want to calculate the area. Then, switch to Select Column box and insert the column containing the polygon name and select Area from Functions drop down list. On this example, I have a column called “Name” on my “polygon” table.

Press OK to see the result

calculate area mapinfo 3

 

OK on my result, I have 3 result (polygon 1, polygon 2 and polygon 3) each polygon has its area in hectares on the right side.

See you

5 comments

Wow, too good and more informative information here, it will definitely more useful for the people. In this you have mentioned very clearly everyone can easily understand about it.
microsoft access tutorial

Good, thank.

Muchas gracias, it is so good. =)


EmoticonEmoticon